In India student can pursue a legal course only after completing an undergraduate course in any discipline. However, according to the national law school model, one can study law as an integrated course of five years after passing the senior secondary examination.
Legal Education in India is regulated by the Bar Council of India, which is a statutory body established under section 4 of advocates Act 1961.
Any institution or college departing legal education in India must be approved by the Bar Council of India.
The various Academic degrees available in legal education (law) are as follows:
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) – The LL.B. is the most common law degree offered by universities in India. It is a three years course. All law universities follow a standard LL.B. curriculum, where the students are exposed to the required bar subjects.
- Integrated undergraduate degrees – that are B.A. LL.B., B.Sc. LL.B., BBA. , LLB., B.Com., LL.B. These degrees are mostly offered in the autonomous law schools and have a duration of five years.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) – The LL.M. is one of the most common postgraduate law degree .it has a duration of one/two years.
- Master of Business Law
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Integrated MBL-LLM/ MBA-LLM. – is a three years double degree integrated course with specialization in business law.
Skills You Need for a Successful Law Career in India:
- time management
- good verbal communication skills
- time management
- emotional intelligence
- written communication
- Analytical Skills
Entrance exams available for admission to law courses in India are :
- Common-Law Admission Test (CLAT).
- AUAT etc.
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) :
The abbreviation LL. B. stands for Legum Baccalaureus, where LL. is the Latin abbreviation for laws. LLB or Bachelor of Legislative Law is an undergraduate law degree which is done to enter the field of judiciary and law. The course is of 3 years and helps in developing essential skills like:
For students who are wanting to pursue LLB right after completing their higher secondary education, need to choose from the courses available such as:
- BA LLB
- BBA LLB
- BCom LLB
- BSc LLB, etc.
These are integrated courses and take 5 years to complete.
However, graduates from any stream can get admission to LLB for the 3-year course duration.
The benefits of studying LAW in 5-year programs are that you get exposure to Law subjects early on while doing graduation, giving students a better understand and also gives an insight into the core subjects of Law, and also save a year of study in comparison to Law after graduation.
Top Institutes L.L.B Programs (for 5-year) :
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad
- West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
- National Law University, New Delhi
- National Law University, Jodhpur
- National Law University, Bhopal
- Gujrat National Law University, Gandhinagar
- Jindal Global Law School, Sonipat
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Entrance Exams for 5-Year L.L.B Programs:
- Common-Law Admission Test (CLAT): is for admission to 18 prominent National Law Universities in India.
- All India Law Entrance Test (AILET): conducted by National Law University (Delhi) for providing admission to its integrated BA. L.L.B (Hons.)
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT): These test scores are accepted by Jindal Global Law School, Alliance School of Law, Faculty of Law (SRM University), Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law (IIT Kharagpur), amongst others.
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET): this is held for admission into symbiosis international university.
Top Institutes L.L.B Programs (for 3-Year) :
- Faculty of Law, University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Jindal Global Law School, OP
- Jindal Global University, Sonipat
- Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Government Law College, Mumbai
- ILS Law College, Pune
Entrance Exams for 3-Year L.L.B Programs:
- DU L.L.B: conducted by Faculty of Law, for Delhi University.
- LSAT: conducted and accepted by Jindal Global Law School, OP Jindal Global University, Sonipat for admission.
- MH CET: conducted for admission to the Law colleges of Maharashtra
- BHU L.L.B: conducted by the Banaras Hindu University for their admission